Want to know how to install motorcycle saddlebags? Installing saddlebags on your motorcycle can be a great way to add extra storage space for long rides. Whether you are looking for soft or hard saddlebags, the process of installing them is relatively similar.
In this article, we will discuss how to install motorcycle saddlebags safely and securely so that you can enjoy all the benefits they offer without worrying about their stability while riding. We’ll also explore some tips and tricks for making sure your bags stay in place during your journey. So if you’re ready to learn how to install motorcycle saddlebags, let’s get started!
How To Install Motorcycle Saddlebags Quick Guide
Installing motorcycle saddlebags is a relatively straightforward process but it’s important to take the proper steps to ensure that they are firmly affixed. Following these instructions should help you install your saddlebags safely and securely:
- Measure your motorcycle
- Install points
- Safety and Making Sure it’s Secure
- Moving Parts and Exhaust
How To Install Motorcycle Saddlebags Steps
Following these steps should ensure that your motorcycle saddlebags are installed safely and securely so you can enjoy a worry-free ride.
Step 1: Measure your motorcycle
- To determine the appropriate length of saddlebags for your bike, measure from the end of the seat to the turn signals.
- To determine the height, measure from the fender rail to the top of the motorcycle exhaust. It is recommended to maintain a clearance of 2 to 4 inches between the exhaust and saddlebags, even if the bags have heat-resistant material.
Step 2: Install points
It is common for saddlebags to come with 4 tie-down points that can be used to secure them to your bike. To properly install the saddlebags, it is suggested that you use the front 2 points to secure them to the passenger pegs and find a strong location on your bike to attach the back 2 points.
Step 3: Safety and Making Sure it’s Secure
There are bags available that come with security features such as locks located on the top, under the straps, or on the buckles that require a key.
It’s important to think about what you plan to carry, where you’ll be biking, and where you’ll be parking, to determine whether you need such features. Keep in mind that most bags can be easily unzipped and taken with you, which provides the best security.
Step 4: Moving Parts and Exhaust
- Make sure the saddlebag size is suitable for your bike, and there is enough clearance from the exhaust while installing.
- It’s crucial to secure the bags properly using tie-down points or brackets. Keep in mind to stay cautious of the moving parts and exhaust which are critical components of your bike that should not be too close to your saddlebags.
Common Questions About How To Install Motorcycle Saddlebags
Can you put saddlebags on any motorcycle?
To safely mount a motorcycle saddlebag on any motorcycle, it is necessary to have accompanying mounting hardware. If a set of motorcycle bags does not come with mounting instructions or hardware, it is not a safe option.
Why learn how to install motorcycle hard saddlebags?
Carrying items in a saddlebag is more comfortable while riding than in a backpack, which can be burdensome and weigh you down.
Additionally, you can leave your belongings in the saddlebags when you park the motorcycle, making it easier to move around without carrying extra things.
How to install motorcycle hard saddlebags?
If you’re planning on installing hard saddlebags on your motorcycle, you will also need to make sure that all of your mounting hardware is specifically designed for hard saddlebags. The process for installation is largely the same as above, but make sure to check the instructions that come with your hard saddlebags to be certain that you install them correctly.
Where should you install your saddle bag or box?
To ensure safety, please make sure that any bags or boxes you attach to your motorcycle are firmly secured.
Saddlebags should not be installed higher than the motorcycle seat and should not extend more than 14 inches from each side of the motorcycle. Also, the length of the bags or boxes should not go beyond the tail end of the motorcycle.
Where does a bike saddle bag go?
This is a bag that can be attached to the rails of your bicycle seat and is also known as a seat bag, saddle bag, or under-seat bag. It can hold a few extra items and it’s recommended to keep it mounted on your bike to make sure you always have the necessary items with you.
What are saddlebags mounting options?
- Throw Over Bag Sets are a popular installation system that is temporary and not permanent. The bags have a convenient zip-on and off feature with carrying handles, allowing you to easily remove them after your ride or if you no longer need them on your motorcycle. Typically, the bags are installed underneath the back seat. However, you may also choose to install them over the seat using the center yoke, which can be adjusted based on the width of your fender.
- If you want a more reliable option while riding, you may want to install saddlebag support brackets. These brackets are specific to the year, model, and make of your motorcycle, but we also offer universal brackets.
- If you want to permanently install your bags on your bike, consider using hard mount kits. These will keep the bags in place, and you can remove them by taking out the bolts.
- Investing in quick disconnect kits is recommended as they offer easy installation and allow for easy removal of saddlebags within seconds. Some kits also come with turn signal re-locators. Additionally, these kits provide a stealthy appearance and do not give any sign of the saddlebag’s presence or installation on the bike.
Video How to Install Viking Saddlebags on a Motorcycle
Do you wish to know how to install motorcycle saddlebags? In this video, you will learn how to equip your bike with Viking Saddlebags. You will see everything from preparing the mounting hardware and brackets to properly attaching and securing the hard saddlebags onto your motorcycle.
Watch now and learn step-by-step how to install hard saddlebags on a motorcycle!
Installing motorcycle saddlebags is a straightforward process that anyone can do with the right tools and materials. With these tips, you now know how to install motorcycle saddlebags onto your bike without any hassle.
Now that you’ve got all the necessary information for installing motorcycle saddlebags, it’s time to get out there and ride! Don’t forget to check local laws before heading out on your new adventure with extra storage space in tow. Have fun and be safe!